Frequently asked questions
Here are some questions I get asked the most:
How did you get interested in this and how long have you been doing this?
I have been interested in this since I was in high school, but did not devote any time to Magic while I was in college. I started getting into it again about 20 years ago when I started working in the Los Angeles area. Since then, I have learnt a lot of magic. I have performed as a part time professional since 1990.
How does one get started in this field?
If you are in the U.S.A., the best place to start is your public library. Check out the books on magic in the children's and adult section. If you are not in the U.S., try to get a beginner's magic book from a bookshop. I recommend the following books:
- Magic for Dummies by David Pogue
- Magic Digest by George Anderson
- Magic for Beginners by Harry Baron
- Card Tricks for Beginners by Harry Baron
- The Secrets of Alkazar by Allan Zola Kronzek
After learning stuff from the beginner's Magic books, how can I learn more advanced magic?
- Well, one next step could be to join a magic club. I recommend the International Brotherhood of Magicians (IBM). They have lots of local chapters, where magicians meet and perform magic. This is a great place to learn Magic and make Magic friends . If you live in the San Jose (Silicon Valley) Bay Area, get in touch with me and I can take you as my guest to the IBM Ring 216 (San Jose) which holds its monthly meetings in downtown San Jose.
- Another place to learn more is your local Magic shop. Lots of cities have them. Visit a Magic shop and talk to the people there. You can buy "professional" magic tricks and equipment here. They also sell special books, DVDs and video tapes teaching magic.
- You could also get lessons from a professional. Contact magicians in your local area to see if they give lessons. This is a great way to learn because someone can keep pointing out what you are doing wrong or right but you need to be really dedicated.
Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questsions.